Friday, May 8, 2009

A Hero On So Many Levels


The weekend is finally here. Yipee! And this weekend we get to celebrate our mothers!

When I think of true heroes I think of Mothers. I know many wonderful mothers who are compassionate, strong, beautiful, encouraging and so much more (including my own, beautiful mother, Lynn and mother-in-law, Carole).

I had promised my boss that I would make a card for her daughter who recently had baby #2 and as time went on I couldn't think of a better occassion to present that card than for mother's day. Her daughter, Jamie is a mother of 2 little girls, a newborn and two year old, but she is a celebrated Army veteran as well. Her time in the Army and stints in Iraq resulted in many lives rescued and protected and also proved with Jamie's can-do mentality that women are a driving force (literally, she drove the Hummer!). With that said, Jamie is a hero on so many levels.

When I thought of making a card for her, my thoughts instantly went to The Greeting Farm's hero set. I had been mulling around this patchwork quilted paper idea for quite some time now and knew that it would be perfect for this little project. I also was very excited to at the challenge to turn Hero Ian into a Heroine Army Girl. For the patchwork background I took several different patterned papers, cut them into squares and glued them together. Then I stitched a grid around them. To make this stamp into a girl I drew a ponytail and added blush and eyelashes.

I hope that Jamie will feel very loved and appreciated this Sunday. And I hope that if other women who are serving in our military see this card, that they would know that it's for them too. We thank you and we celebrate you, our True Heroes.

Deets:
Stamps:
The Greeting Farm, Hero , misc sentiment
Papers: Creative Imaginations PP, Real Red, AC textured CS
Ink: SU! Markers, Black Stazon, Tim Holtz distress ink
Embies: Crystal Effects, SU! Real Red Ribbon, Red Thread

10 comments:

Jessica Diedrich said...

Oh wow Kadie this is truly a labor of love! I LOVE what you did w/ the Hero stamp set and the story is so touching. Thanks for honoring all of us Mom's by acknowledging what we do...that means more than you know!

Sandra MacLean said...

We're not worthy!! We're not worthy!! This is phenomonal Kadie!! How long did that take you? Very creative of you to turn Army Ian into Army Anya! :) Love it!

Carisa said...

OMG, this is stunning! She's going to LOVE it.

Mary Giles said...

Now this is a card you cannot buy at Hallmark. Wow Kadie! I love the stories that go along with your cards and this is absolutely wonderful. Jamie will definitely feel loved with this card.

Jacilynn said...

wowsa! This is crazy good! Thanks for sharing this story. You are awesome.

Maria said...

What an awesome cool card, Kadie!! I love how you changed Ian into a girl. Your boss' daughter will definitely love your card. ..you are too sweet! I love the military look to you card and as always fabulous job on your coloring!!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

maria

Randi said...

Kadie, I love that you made a Heroine card!!! So awesome! You amaze me with your details girl!

I'm finally back. I cannot believe all the gorgeous cards you made while I was "out". I will enjoy scrolling through all your posts over my hot cocoa tomorrow (yep, still no coffee for me. boo!)

Elena said...

Hello Kadie!
I love what you wrote about Moms!
And I LOVE what you did with the stamp! The paper quilt you created is so awesome!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute!!

Lorie said...

Your patchwork quilt idea is wonderful, and the inspiration behind this card is so sweet and thoughtful! You are the master, my dear!!